Frequently Asked Questions
GoCardless Simpler Direct Debit FAQ's.
1. I don't want to pay by direct debit can I pay by another method?GoCardless direct debit is our preferred method of payment for regular window cleaning because it's the safest way to pay, no late payment charges apply and you are covered by the direct debit guarantee, but payments can also be made by debit/credit card via our website payment page, bank transfers, cheques or cash on the day of cleaning. Please note that we require payment within 7 days.
2. How will I know when my GoCardless payment is going to be taken?GoCardless payments are collected 5 days after your windows have been cleaned. You will receive an email from GoCardless prior to your payment being taken informing you of the amount due and the date that the payment will be collected.
3. Is GoCardless a monthly direct debit?No, GoCardless only asks for a payment when a job is complete. It's perfect for collecting regular payments such as 6 or 12 weekly window cleaning.
4. I haven’t had my windows cleaned will payment still be taken automatically?No, payment is only ever taken if your windows have been cleaned.
5. I’m having building work done and won’t need my windows cleaning for a few months, will I need to cancel the direct debit setup?No, Payments are only ever taken after your windows are cleaned, if you are not having your windows cleaned for any reason payment will never be taken until you re-start your cleaning schedule.
6. Can I cancel or stop this payment method if I don’t want to use it anymore or if I cancel my window cleaning service with you?Yes, you have full control as you would with any Direct Debit payment set up.
7. Can GoCardless take one off payments for the other cleaning services you offer?Yes, we use GoCardless for collecting one off payments for gutter cleaning, fascia and conservatory cleaning. We also take card payments over the phone and on the website for these services.
8. How do I sign up for GoCardless direct debit?Just use the link at the bottom of this web page or ask using the contact form on the customer service page, we will then email you the mandate to complete.
Window Cleaning FAQ's
1. I have booked a window clean but no one has come?Did you receive a welcome email from us informing you of your first clean date? If not please complete the customer service form on this website and we will check to see if we have a completed booking form from you.
2. I'm going on holiday can I reschedule?We operate a window cleaning "round" so sometimes it can be difficult to reschedule a window clean for when you return from your holiday because we might not be in your area. If this is the case we will simply clean the accessible windows and charge accordingly. If we are in your area on a daily basis the cleaner might leave a note asking you to contact the office when you have returned home to let us know that your gate is now open. We will then return and clean the rear windows for you. If you want to "Miss" your clean completely and not be charged just let the office know by completing the form on the customer service page before you leave for your holiday. If you get our "no reply" 7pm text whilst your on holiday to say we are going to clean your windows the next day there is no need to try and reply to it or contact us. Our offices close at 5.00pm. Just relax and enjoy your break.
3. Do you use ladders?No we don't use ladders for window cleaning or climb on to flat roofs. Due to the "Working at height regulations 2005" we have chosen to put the safety of our operatives first and use the water fed pole to carry out our window cleaning. The ladders on the roof of our vans are for "gutter inspections" only not window cleaning.
4. Why have you left my glass wet? What method do you use to clean my windows?We use pure filtered & deionised water to clean your windows. This involves the use of a carbon fibre telescopic pole, a soft brush and 100% pure water which we have filtered through a five stage filtration process. We remove the dirt from your windows with a purpose made window cleaning brush then rinse the glass. The pure water is left on the windows to dry naturally without leaving any watermarks. Due to the "Working At Height Regulations 2005" we do not use ladders when cleaning your windows or climb on to flat roofs.
5. Did you clean my Velux windows or skylights?This question gets asked a lot. Our window cleaners will always clean your ground floor Velux windows & skylights if they are accessible with the water fed pole, but we cannot guarantee the quality of the clean. The water fed pole and brush we use to clean your windows is very lightweight and struggles to remove baked on pollen, bird mess and dust from the Velux or skylight due to the fact that no pressure can be applied by the operator. The only downwards pressure on the brush is from gravity. To clean them properly we always recommend that you spin the Velux or skylight over and clean them from the inside. To view a short video which shows you how to spin a Velux window safely just click here to go to the Velux video.
6. Why has my window cleaner arrived early or later than scheduled?Our regular window cleaning round is approximately 6 or 12 weekly. Holidays, sick leave and extreme weather can effect our schedule. If your second window clean is early it's because we have positioned you in the correct position on our rounds. Also at the end of each year we optimise our rounds so your last clean of the year or your first clean of the new year may be early or later than usual. Please allow some flexibility.
7. Do you come on the same day and at the same time?No, your window clean can fall on any day of the week between the hours of 7.30am - 6pm.
8. Will the same window cleaner come each time?Due to holidays, sick leave, paternity leave and round optimisation it is not always possible to have the same window cleaner on each visit. We pride ourselves on offering a regular 6 or 12 weekly service, to do this anyone of our window cleaners might attend. All our window cleaners have sign written vans with "Plumtree Window Cleaning" on them.
9. I have a locked gate how will you gain access?We send a "no reply" automated text to all our customers the evening before we are due to clean. This is to remind you to leave the gate open. If we can't gain access to the rear of your property because of locked gates we will clean the accessible windows. If we are in the same area over the next few days we may leave you a note to ask you to text us when your gate is open but we can not guarantee this. If you have large front gates which needs an access code we may ask for the code. We reserve the right to remove you from the round if access is repeatedly restricted.
10. How do I pay you?Our preferred method of payment is via GoCardless direct debit but we also accept online card payments, bank transfers, cheques and cash on the day of cleaning. Please note that we require payment within 7 days. Late payment fees apply after 14 days. Cash payers need to pay once the clean has taken place. We do not do evening doorstep collecting. See our terms and conditions for full payment terms. Plumtree Window Cleaning (Agency) Ltd act as an agent to collect GoCardless payments and card payments for our franchised window cleaners & Plumtree Window Cleaning Ltd.
11. Do you clean the window sills and frames?Yes on every visit we clean glass, frames, sills & doors. Please note - There is always a chance of water and particles of dirt running out from the gap between the window and the sill after the operator has left your property. This doesn't mean the operator hasn't cleaned your sills. Over time the dirt trapped between the window and the sill will be washed out.
12. Can you clean the windows above my conservatory or extension?Yes, we can normally clean hard to reach windows safely from the ground. If we can see the window we can normally clean it. If your conservatory or extension is long this might restrict access to certain windows.
13. Do you clean windows in the rain?Yes we clean windows in the rain, if we didn't we wouldn't be able to offer a regular window cleaning service. Rain water is relatively pure so doesn’t effect the quality of the clean. We also offer a "Rain Guarantee" Please see your "Windows Cleaned Today" slip which is posted through your letterbox after the clean for full details.
14. Do you clean windows the old fashioned way?We only clean windows using a water fed pole and without ladders because we believe it gives better results overall and is much safer for our operatives.
15. My windows are still dirty - You have missed a window. Do you offer a guarantee?Yes we offer a 48 hour guarantee with all our window cleaning. If you are not 100% satisfied we will come back and reclean for free. To book a free re-clean just complete the contact form on our "Customer Service" page. A call out charge may be applied if we return to clean and we find it's the inside of the windows that are dirty or the double glazed unit has failed and the dirt is on the inside of the unit. Please note that there might always be one or two water spots left on the glass, this is the trade off between quality and safety.
16. Do you have liability insurance?Yes our employees and franchise owners have liability insurance.
17. What should I expect after your first visit?Your windows, frames and sills should be sparkling clean. If your last window cleaner used soapy water and a cloth to clean your windows or your windows haven't been cleaned for a long time you might notice a few spots or watermarks when the water has dried. This is totally normal, the pure water draws out left over soap residue and dirt from the frames. After the second clean your windows should be sparkling clean. Please note that there might always be one or two water spots left on the glass, this is the trade off between quality and safety.
18. Do you clean garage doors?Yes, If you want to add the cleaning of your garage door and frame just let us know. We charge £1.00 per single garage door or £2 for a double door for this service.
19. Do you clean internal windows?Yes we do. Simply book this on our window cleaning page.
20. You came to clean my windows but didn't clean my conservatory roof?Conservatory roofs are booked as a separate job and are not included in your normal window cleaning price. You can book a roof clean on our "Conservatory Cleaning" page. Most customers have this done once or twice a year.
21. What time will you arrive?We do not offer appointments or give times of arrival for regular external window cleaning. Just leave your gate open for the day. We clean windows from 8am to 6pm. We do make appointments for internal window cleaning.
22. How do I contact my window cleaner direct?The best way of making contact is to complete the online form on our customer service page on the website between 9.00am - 5.00pm. We can then pass on the message or book a reclean for you.
23. Is there a contract?No there is no contract to sign. All we ask is that you have at least two window cleans with us. You can cancel at any time after the two cleans. Just let the office know. Please give a reason for your cancellation.
24. How do I cancel my window cleaning?If you wish to cancel your window cleaning permanently just complete the contact form on our customer service page. Please provide a reason for your cancellation. If you are moving house why not take us with you? We cover most parts of Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Derbyshire.
25. Why is the "First Clean" and the "12 Weekly" price more expensive?We offer a 12 weekly round because some customers prefer to have less visits each year. The price is higher per clean on the first clean and the 12 weekly round due to the extra time needed to clean the windows, frames and doors. Even though the price per visit is more you still save around 20% per year.
26. Why can't I reply to the 7pm text?The 7pm text reminder is a free service we offer to remind you to leave your gates open for the day. It is computer generated and cannot be replied to. It is not an invitation for you to cancel our services the next day. It's very unlikely that we would be able to fill your space on the round with another job at such short notice. If your gate is locked we will simply clean the accessible windows. If you do try and contact us after 7pm you won't be able to speak to anybody who can help. Our office closes at 5.00pm.
27. Why have you not cleaned my front door?If your door is an original wooden door with no threshold or weather strip at the bottom we will wipe down your door with a damp cloth. We do this so pure water doesn't run under your door. If your door is in poor repair we may not clean it all all.
28. No rear access? Do you clean houses with no gate for rear access?If you have no gate for rear access we can still offer our window cleaning services to you but it will have limitations. We can offer to clean your front windows only. Please see price guide for "Front Windows Only" prices. Due to past insurance claims we no longer bring our hoses through customers properties or climb over fences.
29. I believe that you have damaged my windows.Take a look at our no nonsense "Terms & Conditions" here T's & C's
30. Do you do builders cleans?Unfortunately not, our pure water cleaning system uses a soft brush to remove everyday dirt. It is not designed to remove cement, mortar, paint or silicone. We also find that customers are too quick to blame the window cleaner for scratching their glass when in fact the scratches was caused by the builders.
31. Do you do "one off" window cleans?Yes, we do "one off" cleans. Price is 1.5 x the 12 Weekly price. Advance payment is required, book and pay on our window cleaning page.
32. How can I make a complaint?We are always happy to listen to our customers feedback and we will do our upmost to rectify any problems in a timely manner. When contacting us please be polite & courteous. You can call us during normal working hours which are 9am - 5pm or leave a message for head office using the contact form on our "Customer Service" page.
If you have any further questions please use the contact form on our "Customer Service" page.